Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Your Dreams Unlimited Reservation

Being a travel agent seems to me to be a losing proposition. Everybody just checks Kayak. Of course Disney and the people who love them are a generation or two behind, and so there are dozens of agencies with names like Mouse Savers and The Magic For Less promising tourists the lowest rates for visiting "The World." I'd like to say I chose Dreams Unlimited because it sounded a little classier than Mouseketrips, but it wasn't that thought out.

I've been relatively happy using them, I guess. Beth, my "Personal Planning Vacation Consultant" promises that she "travels to WDW several times a year and have a good working knowledge of the parks, restaurants and resorts." The thing is, she hasn't told me anything I can't find online or in a book. What's nice is that I can send her specific, politely demanding emails and she has to answer me affirmatively and promptly.


Exhibit A

Hi Beth,

So I started to do a little research about The Port Orleans and I was wondering if it's possible to request a room with a river view. 

I'll let you know which restaurants we want to book next week.

Thanks,
Bryan

Port Orleans is the resort we decided on, and I thought if we were going to stay there we might as well have a river view. Not too much to ask.

Exhibit B (after a week's more research on the Port Orleans)

One more request for our stay at Port Orleans. It seems like a huge property, so I'd like to request a room that is relatively central and close to bus transport.
1st Choice: Alligator Bayou Buildings 14, 15, 16, or 18
2nd Choice: Magnolia Bends Building 90 South Side or Building 95 North Side. 


This is more important than my previous request for a river view. If they can do both, awesome! But if not, I'd take proximity over scenery.

Proximity over scenery. A practical if not particularly romantic philosophy. 

We'll see if Beth comes through. Her emails are friendly in a vague way, as if she is the personal planning vacation consultant of thousands. She does sign her emails with the standard Disney "Have A Magical Day!"

Definitely generic, probably insincere, and somehow still endearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment